The Company of Human Resource Professionals is pleased to launch a Non-Executive Director Training Programme aimed at those working at senior level aligned to the HR profession. This includes those providing expert services in this discipline.
Working in partnership with The Non-Executive Directors’ Association (NEDA), the purpose of the programme is two-fold:
- To provide participants with an understanding of the activities of an NED and the extent to which the individual feels ready to apply for such roles. The focus will be on preparing for board level opportunities.
- To equip participants with the full range of skills to become an effective board member.
People Leaders are increasingly being appointed to boards of FTSE 350 companies and global subsidiaries alongside charities and other trusts seeking specialist knowledge from an HR background. This is driven partly through corporate governance and the focus on building the right workplace culture and accelerated by the Environmental, Social and Governance agenda. With a focus on nominations, remuneration, succession planning, diversity and inclusion, community investment and employee engagement the presence of HR at the top table brings many advantages.
The Programme Details
The programme is divided into Two Parts and can be attended in person or virtually.
PART ONE: Preparing for board level opportunities
(Delivered by the HR Company with input from NEDA)
Date: Session 1 - 21st June 2023 from 5.30 pm to 7.30 pm
This session covers:
- How to develop the skills and experiences required to be an effective trustee or NED
- How to identify and position yourself for potential trustee and NED opportunities, leveraging your HR expertise whilst understanding the board and wider stakeholder requirements.
This is complemented by a mentoring session to focus on career planning.
PART TWO: Becoming an effective board member
(Delivered by NEDA with input from the HR Company)
Dates: Attendance required for full day from 9.30 am on:
21st September 2023
An intensive programme, delivered in three modules, which covers:
- Director role and responsibilities – essential legal duties
- Corporate governance framework – the practical application
- Corporate reporting developments – financial and narrative reports
- An ‘Effective Board’ – the key team characteristics
- The Chair, NED and Committees – understanding the essential roles
- Director competencies – exploring strengths and weaknesses
- Board performance – latest thinking and use of tools and techniques
- Strategic role – getting the right balance and making a difference
- Risk management – what boards need to consider
- Board relationships – building trust from good communications
- Latest developments in the boardroom – ‘ESG’ and other hot topics
A number of team exercises, case studies and interactions are incorporated into the session. All participants will receive a full documentation package of slides and materials (soft copies), as well as an e-version of the latest Non-Executive Directors’ Handbook (5th Edition). Completing the training course and reading the Handbook prepare attendees to take an on-line test, which if passed leads to the award of the NED Certificate. There is a very small extra charge for the certification process.
This is complemented by continued mentoring during the programme and a vacancy register.
About our Partners
This NED for HR Programme is being delivered by the Company of Human Resource Professionals, the Non-Executive Directors’ Association and supported by the CIPD. This recognises the importance that the profession places on people leaders contributing to the board agenda.
The Company of Human Resource Professionals (HR Company) is progressing through the livery world and provides the opportunity for senior leaders to ‘give back’ to the profession. Its objectives are to provide education, charitable, pro bono services and to thereby support HR people, its charity partners and the wider City. This is predominantly the Lord Mayor, other liveries and the City of London Corporation. Supporting this programme is Stephen Sidebottom, Education Lead and Jillian Naylor, Programme Director.
The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) is the professional body for experts in people at work. Their purpose is to champion better work and working lives by setting professional standards for HR and people development, as well as driving positive change in the world of work. Supporting this programme at the CIPD is Peter Cheese CEO and Valerie Hughes D’Aeth, Chair.
The Non-Executive Directors’ Association (NEDA) is the professional association that develops and supports NEDs from diverse backgrounds with the right skills, knowledge and mindset to ensure they have a positive impact in the boardroom and beyond. Supporting this programme is Louis Cooper, CEO and Barry Gamble, Senior Adviser.
The Programme Faculty
Head of Education
International CHRO and NED
- Stephen has held global HR leadership roles including at Standard Chartered and Nomura International, and has led on major organisation change, OD, culture and performance, and complex people solutions.
- He is Chair of the Institute of Risk Management (IRM) and Kent Savers Credit Union
- He has an MBA from London Business School, an MA from Oxford and is a Fellow of the CIPD and a Court Member of the HR Guild.
Masters Student and Partner LSE and Equitura
- Jillian has two decades of experience supporting organisations on their most sensitive and challenging people issues.
- Jillian was a Partner in the Employment & Incentives team at Linklaters LLP until September 2021 when she left to pursue a world leading MSc programme at the LSE on Organisational and Social Psychology.
- In tandem with undertaking her studies Jillian co-founded Equitura, a consultancy providing organisations with strategic solutions focused on fostering inclusive and diverse business cultures.
CEO of NEDA
Co-founder of NEDA
- Louis is Chief Executive and one of the co-founders of the Non-Executive Directors’ Association (‘NEDA’) – the members Association that was set up in 2006 to support the specific needs and demands of Non-Executive Directors and Trustees across all sectors. Louis leads the NED and board training, education and advisory services, and oversees the publication of the ‘Non-Executive Directors’ Handbook’ (5th Edition: 2019).
- Louis has over 25 years’ experience in governance, risk and assurance services and in public practice has worked for all of the ‘Big 4’ Accounting firms and for 6 years was a partner at the UK top 10 audit firm Crowe Clark Whitehill (now Crowe UK). He has also undertaken Board roles with two UK quoted Investment Trusts and for an AIM-listed European Oil and Gas company.
- Louis is a Fellow Chartered Accountant (‘ICAEW’) and a member of the Institute of Risk Management (‘IRM’) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (‘IIA’). He is also a qualified teacher with a Bachelor of Education Honours degree.
Founder of Leadenhall Consulting
- Chris Woodman founded Leadenhall Consulting in 2011 with a view to providing Coaching, Assessment and HR Advisory services to Financial Services Firms primarily but not exclusively in the City of London.
- He has served on the Executive Committee of two publicly listed companies, COLT Telecom and Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited, and as Executive Director, HR, lead the HR function for Fidelity International. Chris has worked internationally in the UK, Europe, US, Middle East and Asia including a two-year assignment to Boston, MA.
- In 2020 Chris, working with his colleague Liz Codd, developed and launched Coaching on Demand a digital Coaching platform. As an Executive coach, specialises in Leadership, Team development, Performance Enhancement, and Career Transitions. He joined the Company in 2016 and is a Court Assistant.
Past Master, Former CPO Lloyd’s of London
- Executive Coach and Consultant to HRDs and Business Leaders.
- Former CHRO at Lloyd’s of London where she led on the Global HR Talent Strategy.
- Annette is a Certified Coach and Mediator with an MBA and is a Fellow of the CIPD.
- Now a Chairman of the Board, RemCo Chair and Non-Executive Director in both the Private and Charity Sector. Using all of her prior knowledge and experience to add values in these roles, whilst continuing to learn about new businesses and sectors.
UK & International NED
- Named by Cranfield’s 2017 FTSE Board Report as one of the 100 Senior Women to watch, Valerie is a highly experienced independent non-executive director and chair. Her Executive career as a MD, Executive Committee Member and Group Head of People spanned banking, insurance, retail and energy and, since 2009, a strong non-executive portfolio career.
- Valerie is a UK & International NED within the aviation industry and at one of the leading Lloyd’s Managing Agents, chairing both Remuneration and Nominations Committees. She has also been a Board member and Chair of Remuneration for DWP Digital and an Independent Senior Board Advisor to the FCA and the PRA at the Bank of England.
- Valerie is a graduate of University College Dublin and a Founder member of the Guild of HR Professionals.
Portfolio NED, CEO and Founder, The Careers Company
- Meena is an experienced Human Resources professional. She was latterly the Managing Director and Chief HR Officer for the 30,000 strong Global Business Services arm of Standard Charted Bank.
- She currently serves as a Non-executive Director at both CNWL NHS Foundation Trust and Origin Housing. She is also Trustee for Community Schools Trust, Multi Academy Trust and a Board Advisor for an HR publication based in Asia.
- Meena is on the Inspire List (Trustees Unlimited) and has been recognised as one of the 100 Women to watch to be a FTSE 350 NED by Cranfield in 2021. In addition to her Board work, Meena recently founded The Careers Company and has particular interest in working with under-represented groups in the world of work.
Preparing for board level opportunities
Becoming an effective board member
You do not have to be a member of the HR Company or NEDA to participate as an HR professional in this programme. Both organisations would, of course, be delighted to welcome you should you decide to join. The HR Company is £350 per annum (no VAT) and NEDA offers an HR Company discounted rate of £50 per annum (+ VAT).