Joining the Guild of HR Professionals
The Guild of HR Professionals is open for membership and welcomes applications to join.
The Guild serves two purposes.
- The first is to develop, foster and promote the profession of HR through knowledge-sharing, specialist committees, the recognition of standards and education.
- The second is to serve the community through civic duties and charitable activities. Charitable activities consist of charitable fundraising and pro-bono services.
The Guild also operates as a forum to meet and socialise with colleagues within the Human Resources Profession and to collaborate with the other Livery Companies. Members are free simply to join to enjoy a range of social occasions or to formally participate in Guild Committees or other services and duties that achieve the objectives of the Guild.
The Guild intends to have at least four larger social gatherings each year. As the Guild develops it will offer an exciting range of other social events on monthly and seasonal basis.
How to Get Involved
Irrespective of whether individuals are looking to enjoy the social and fellowship aspects or to become formally involved, membership is the first entry point.
The Guild will achieve its main aims through the Committees that will operate under the oversight of the Court of the Guild.
Committees that have been adopted in principle currently include the following:
- Charity Pro-bono Committee and Charitable Trust
- Finance and General Purpose Committee
- Membership and Nominations Committee
- Social Events and Communications Committee
- Committee Work
Any member may apply to join a Committee. Where a member has a specific interest, subject to the approval of the Court of the Guild, they may form a Committee, which will be established to achieve a set term of reference agreed with the Court.
Other ways of contributing include the provision of pro bono services to charities via the Guild, the mentoring of new entrants to the profession and attending events to raise funds for our General Purposes and Charitable Funds.
Who can join?
The HR Guild aspires to be a Modern Guild that operates high standards in terms of diversity and inclusion.
Applications for membership would be welcomedfrom those who:
- Are undertaking an HR role or a functional aspect of HR such reward, development, resourcing or diversity
- Provide specialist HR services based on a high level of expertise to the community
- Have a strong current or previous shaping or influencing role for the HR community
- By special invitation, due to the unique contribution that an individual can make to the shaping or promotion of the HR profession.
How to apply to join
Prospective members will be invited to complete an online application form, or alternatively you can contact the Clerk via email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will normally meet or speak to members of the Membership and Nominations Committee to find out more about the aims, objectives and work of the Guild.
There are two levels of Membership:
The majority of members will fall into the first level of Guild Membership (called “Fines”) - £350 per annum.
There will be a very limited opportunity to apply at the second level of Founder Membership - £3000. (A Founder Member will form part of the historical formation of the HR Guild and be recognized as such). If you are interested in becoming a Founder Member please contact us for more information before applying.
The Founding Members have paid significantly more than this and will be lifetime members.
A Final Note
Above all, the Guild sets out to fulfil the high standards of a modern Guild or Livery Company in a relaxed and pleasant social environment that is not old fashioned, influenced by any one group and brings fun, enlightenment and enjoyment to everyone concerned in the human resources profession.
Membership of the Guild of Human Resources offers a unique opportunity to be involved in a major historic development for the profession and to work together to make the trade’s past activities live long into the future.
To find out more about the Guild of Human Resource Professionals and the history of livery companies, please explore our website where all this information is contained or alternatively call the office on 01353 663 649.
The HR Guild is domiciled at:
10 Fitzroy Square